- What is the PING Junior Interclub (PJI)?
- Who participates?
- When are the tournaments?
- What is the format?
- What do I recieve for participating in the program?
- Who manages the tournaments?
- What is Junior Golf University (JGU)?
- Where can I learn more about the program?
What is the PING Junior Interclub (PJI)?
The PJI provides junior golfers (boys and girls, ages 12-18) with team-based tournaments. Five-person teams are formed by private, public and resort-style golf courses. Each team competes in four or five PJI Divisional tournaments, one event hosted by each course within a Division. Top team and individual finishers within each Division advance to post-season play.
Using the interclub concept, junior players develop team-based skills inherent in other sports, while competing in golf, a game which fosters integrity, leadership and life skills.
The PJI is nationally sponsored by PING Golf and is headquartered in Phoenix. Additional sponsors include, Aldila®, CMC Golf, ECCO, Golfweek®, New Era® and Under Armour®.
- Teams are formed by private, public and resort-style golf facilities.
- Teams are comprised of 5-8 junior golfers (Boys & Girls, ages 12-18)
When are the tournaments?
PJI seasons vary based on location. Please contact your pro shop for additional information. PJI Schedules can be found under the "Tournaments" tab on the home page of the website.
What is the format?
Each team competes in four or five PJI Divisional tournaments, one event hosted by each course within a Division. Top team and individual finishers within each Division advance to post-season play.
- 18-hole stroke play tournaments
- Course yardages are based on the age and gender of the player.
- Every players score counts toward a team point total
- 725 points are distributed each tournament based on each players individual score
What do I receive for participating in the program?
JGU provides each player on a team with:
- A one-year subscription to Golfweek® Magazine
- Additional participation gifts from our sponsors (Aldila®, CMC Golf, ECCO®, Golfweek®, New Era®, PING®, and Under Armour®)
Who manages the tournaments?
JGU will create the schedule based on the host dates requested by each team participating. The JGU website will provide tee times, pairings and scoring for the event. Coaches, players and parents will be notified of upcoming tournaments and tee times. Tournaments will be run by the host course with support from Junior Golf University.
The JGU Facebook page is an additional resource used to communicate with all participants. We also occasionally create contests using the Facebook page.
What is Junior Golf University (JGU)?
Junior Golf University, a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization, was founded in 2008 by John Souza, Director of PING WRX, in Phoenix, Ariz. JGU provides online tournament management for PJI events and administrative support to PJI teams.
In 2008, eight teams from the Phoenix area participated in the first season of the PJI. The program has experienced tremendous growth, expanding in 2012 to 70 teams with over 500 junior golfers in three states.
Where can I learn more about the program?
- Contact your pro shop for more information.
- Additional information can be found on our Facebook page, Junior Golf University.